The 6th KOSTAT - UNFPA Summer Seminar on Population
About the Summer Seminar on Population
The Summer Seminar on Population will be offering a series of workshops in 2019 to serve as a forum for individuals and institutions concerned with population-related issues and to enable participants to capture and share knowledge on population statistics more effectively. There will be three independent and consecutive workshops:
- Workshop 1: Application of R to Demographic Analysis, Statistical Training Institute, Daejeon, July 22 (Mon) – July 26 (Fri), 2019 (1 week, 30 hours)
- Lecturer: Professor Guy Abel, School of Sociology and Political Science, Shanghai University/Applied Scientist, Asian Demographic Research Institute
- Workshop 2: Analysis of Demographic Data with GIS Technology, Crown Harbor Hotel, Busan, July 29 (Mon) – August 2 (Fri), 2019 (1 week, 30 hours)
- Lecturer: Professor Seong-Yun Hong, Professor of Geography, Kyung Hee University & Professor Jangik Jin, Professor, Dept. of Urban Planning and Real Estate, Chung-Ang University
- Workshop 3: Methods for Analyzing the Life Course, Ocloud Hotel, Seoul, August 5 (Mon) – August 9 (Fri), 2019 (1 week, 30 hours)
- Lecturer: Professor Edith Gray, Head of School, School of Demography, Australian National University
- Training and experience in a field relevant to the topic of their workshop, but not necessary
- Fluency in English
Send the workshop application form to popstat2019 [at] gmail.com no later than June 14, 2019. Cancellation is available only by July 5, 2019.
The assessment of each applicant will be based on the information provided on the application form plus the required other materials submitted as part of the application, and evidence of relevant experience and interest. Applicants will be selected based on the following criteria:
- Relevance of training and research experience relevant to the topic of the workshops,
- Working in a field or on research projects relevant to a workshop topic (including doctoral students whose dissertation research directly relates to a workshop topic),
- Experience/ability using one or more statistical package (e.g. R, SAS, STATA, and SPSS)
- Basis of their potential contribution to the workshops and to future professional work
- Tuition is supported by KOSTAT, but all prospective Summer Seminar participants are responsible for their own travel expenses incurred traveling to/from Korea such as airfare, meals, and lodging. All prospective applicants are advised to seek funding from their home organizations or from national or international agencies.
- The workshops will be held at three venues in different cities in the Republic of Korea, and applicants are able to select one, two, or all three workshops.
- Limited funding for meals and lodging is available for full-time graduate students. For more information, please contact the summer seminar secretariat.
- A certificate of completion under the name of KOSTAT and UNFPA will be given to participants who successfully complete each workshop.
Summer Seminar Secretariat
(International Cooperation Center, Korea Statistics Promotion Institute)
Email: popstat2019 [at] gmail.com
Tel: +82-70-8892-5568, +82-70-8892-2643