Position Title: Communications Internship – IOM Global Migration Data Analysis Centre (GMDAC) and IOM Germany
Duty Station: Berlin,Germany
Reference Code: Intern-DE1-2019-05
Type of Appointment:6 months with possibility of extension; 20-40hrs/week
Estimated Start Date:As soon as possible
The International Organization for Migration (IOM) conducts and supports data analysis designed to guide and inform migration policy and practice. The Global Migration Data Analysis Centre (GMDAC), based in Berlin, Germany, responds to the IOM strategy for 2014-2016 which calls for an upgrading of IOM’s capacity to collect and analyse migration data, and to develop closer partnerships with data providers and academic institutions. The centre acts as a data hub for decision-makers and practitioners seeking the best available migration data.
Under the overall guidance of the Director of GMDAC and the Chief of Mission of IOM Germany and direct supervision of the Communications Officer of GMDAC and in close cooperation with the media and communications team of IOM Germany, the Intern will assist with ongoing work on the Migration Data Portal and other projects or activities of GMDAC and IOM Germany.
Core Functions / Responsibilities
- Support the Media teams in planning and coordination of communications, includingthrough online and offline communications;
- Support the supervisors in organizing briefings and events;
- Tailor, edit and translate content for different German-speaking audiences incoordination with the supervisor and IOM Germany;
- Assist with maintaining contact databases up-to-date;
- Contribute to conceptualizing and developing communications materials, including multimedia products and content for GMDAC’s and IOM Germany’s social mediachannels, targeting German audiences;
- Assist with responding to media inquiries and other ad hoc requests in coordination with the supervisor and IOM Germany;
- Assist in developing and implementing joint media activities of GMDAC and IOM Germany, including joint communication materials, joint media briefings, etc.;
- Update IOM Germany’s media team on GMDAC’s projects and upcoming activities relevant for public and media relations in Germany;
- Assist with communications activities for the Centre and IOM Germany as well as various other tasks as they arise.
Required Qualifications and Experience
Student or graduate; preferably in Communications, Journalism, International Affairs or a related field from an accredited academic institution;
- Strong communication skills, previous work/internship experience in communications is an advantage;
- Strong computer literacy, familiarity with graphic design and layout programmes (Abobe Illustrator or In Design) is an asset;
- German native level with excellent knowledge of spoken and written English; working knowledge of other languages an asset;
- Proficient user of social media channels (Twitter/Facebook);
- Strong organizational skills, with practical experience of how to multi-task, prioritize and work independently;
- Ability to work effectively and harmoniously in a team of colleagues of varied cultural and professional backgrounds;
- Ability to produce quality work accurately and concisely according to deadlines.
German (native level) and English (Excellent), knowledge of another official IOM language an advantage.
The intern is expected to demonstrate the following competencies:
- Inclusion and respect for diversity: respects and promotes individual and cultural differences; encourages diversity and inclusion wherever possible.
- Integrity and transparency: maintains high ethical standards and acts in a manner consistent with organizational principles/rules and standards of conduct.
- Teamwork: develops and promotes effective collaboration within and across units to achieve shared goals and optimize results.
- Managing and sharing knowledge: continuously seeks to learn, share knowledge and innovate.
- Communication: encourages and contributes to clear and open communication; explains complex matters in an informative, inspiring and motivational way.
IOM’s competency framework can be found at this link.
Any offer made tothe candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding confirmation.
Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment and verification of residency, visa and authorizations by the concerned Government, where applicable.
This post is subject to local recruitment. Only persons holding a valid residence and work permit for Germany will be eligible for consideration.
How to apply
Interested candidates are invited to submit their application including a CV and a cover letter not exceeding more than one-page, relevant certificates and references by email to HRDGermany [at] iom.int (max 5 MB). Due to the volume of applications received, IOM Germany Human Resources will not be able to respond to all inquiries about the application status and will only contact shortlisted candidates.