FG IV - Project Officer – External Dimension on Migration
As the science and knowledge service of the Commission, the mission of DG Joint Research Centre is to support EU policies with independent evidence throughout the whole policy cycle.
The JRC is located in 5 Member States (Belgium, Germany, Italy, the Netherlands and Spain). Further information is available at: https://ec.europa.eu/jrc/.
The current vacancy is with the Demography, Migration and Governance Unit, of the Directorate for Space, Security and Migration. This Unit carries out research in support of EU policies in migration and related fields and is responsible for the day-to-day operation of the Knowledge Centre on Migration and Demography. The European Commission's Knowledge Centre on Migration and Demography (KCMD) established in June 2016 is steered by JRC, DG HOME, and seven other services. It is tasked with providing solid scientific evidence for EU policy makers in migration, supporting the European Agenda on Migration and focusing on migration and demography developments at global scale addressing both short and mid-to-longer term policy needs.
The KCMD is there to map and structure existing knowledge on migration, address some of the key knowledge gaps through its own research, extend the knowledge through networking with external partners, and disseminate its findings and care for their uptake by EU policy makers. Its activity areas span from legal migration and integration, to the external dimension of migration, to underpinning work in innovative data sources and data analytics.
The successful candidate will be requested to further develop activities in the external dimension of migration, among the following:
- enhancing the Atlas of Migration and the online resources that will accompany it with selected data and indicators;
- analysing the impact of development on migration; analysing migration corridors or specific regions to anticipate future migration flows;
- analysing climate induced forced displacement and rural to urban migration as precursors to migration;
- using quantitative evidence on international migration drivers to help anticipate medium to longer term migration trends.
A specialization in development economics with an academic background in international cooperation or a relevant interdisciplinary mix of the social sciences and the humanities is an asset.
Candidates with very good hands-on analytical skills will be preferred. A good publication record is welcome.
Relevant work experience of at least 3 years is required.
Very good communication skills in English (C1 level), both written and oral, the ability to liaise with external partners both inside and outside the EU institutions the capacity to work both autonomously and proactively, are all necessary.
Indicative duration 36 months initial contract with possible renewals up to maximum 6 years
Rules and eligibility
The candidate must be on any valid EPSO reserve list for Function Group IV contract staff. Applicants to the following Calls for expression of interest can also be considered:
- CAST Permanent - EPSO has launched in January 2017 an open-ended selection procedure to create a pool of candidates from which the institutions, bodies, offices and agencies of the European Union (EU) can recruit contract agents. Details available at the link below: https://epso.europa.eu/documents/2240_en
- Call COM/1/2015/GFIV – Research - The JRC has launched in January 2015 a permanent call for researchers FG IV. Details available at the link below: https://ec.europa.eu/jrc/en/working-with-us/jobs/vacancies/function-group-IV-researchers
Auxiliary contract staff: https://ec.europa.eu/jrc/en/working-with-us/jobs/temporary-positions/contract-staff-members
Article 3b of the Conditions of Employment of Other Servants of the European Union applies: the actual period of employment within the Commission under this type of contract, including any period under renewal, shall not exceed 6 years.
Please note that due to the high number of applications received only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.