Researcher in Demography / Population Projections
The Research Department at Statistics Norway, Unit for social and demographic research, offers a 100% permanent position as a researcher within demography. The group for demography and living conditions consists of 8 employees of a total of 73 employees in the research department, and analyzes the development in demography and living conditions by utilizing Statistics Norway's various data sources. Key research topics are fertility, mortality, immigration and union dynamics, as well as national population projections.
The researcher's main task will be related to demographic analyses and national population projections. It is important that the new employee has very good knowledge in the analysis of register data and quantitative methods, which is also important for giving good feedback to the statistics. It is expected that the new employee will deliver empirical studies of a high international standard, collaborate with researchers internationally and with other Norwegian research environments, as well as communicate to the public through articles, lectures and media participation.
- Deliver empirical demographic research at a high international level
- Further develop register-based research and analysis in particular related to demographic conditions and population projections
- Contribute to the development of the research environment in the department, including the design of new research projects and applications for funding, and the strengthening of the analysis activities otherwise in SSB
- Represent Statistics Norway, both nationally and internationally
- Doctoral degree within demography, sociology, social economics, social sciences etc. (thesis must be submitted before the employment can begin)
- Documented high competence in statistics and quantitative method
- Experience with the use of empirical analysis tools (for example Stata, SAS, R) and work with large data sets
- Good presentation ability in Norwegian or other Scandinavian language, or an intention of acquiring such competence
- Good presentation skills in English
- Great analytical skills, ability to execute tasks in a timely fashion, enjoy team work (projection work is team work), great collaborative skills, interest for societal development and demography