Population Europe Inter-Faces: Leo van Wissen
"Deal with decline, don't fight it!" - an interview with Leo van Wissen.
1. You are an expert in spatial demography, could you explain what that means?
2. Population decline is a phenomenon in various European regions. What are the reasons?
3. Could population decline be stopped and how?
4. Do you mean policy makers in regions with declining population simply have to accept this process?
5. What does "dealing with decline" mean?
6. Which infrastructure is crucial to prevent the "death" of a region, is it a health system?
7. How could the existing health systems be adapted?
8. Could regions affected by population decline across Europe collaborate in these adaptation processes?
9. Do we have to expect a "split" Europe with increasingly busy cities and increasingly deserted and inactive rural areas?
The Population Europe Inter-Face Series has been published with financial support from the Progress programme of the European Union in the framework of the project ”Supporting a Partnership for Enhancing Europe’s Capacity to Tackle Demographic and Societal Change”.