PRB’s World Population Data Sheet is an excellent reference and data analysis tool. Teachers are encouraged to have their students use the Data Sheet for a variety of topics and activities. The following series of short activities allows students to access a wealth of data on the world, regions, and individual countries, and develop their data literacy skills and knowledge of geography.
These lessons may also be used with PRB’s International Data Center, which houses all the data from the most recent World Population Data Sheet except net migration. Data can be accessed and displayed as a map or table and downloaded. PRB’s Population Handbook, 6th edition (2011) is also a valuable resource.
One class period for each activity.
Math and geography.
Population size, birth rate, death rate, infant mortality rate, total fertility rate, life expectancy, age distribution.
- Select a country’s population characteristics using the World Population Data Sheet.
- Identify countries that rank highest/lowest in a population indicator.
- Practice organizing a country’s population information into a country profile.
- Hypothesize about the data in the country profile.
- Illustrate countries’ selected population characteristics on a map.
- Compare the illustrated population characteristics of selected countries.
- Activity 2: County Profile Worksheet (PDF: 80KB)
- Activity 5: Country Outline Map (PDF: 94KB) Country outline maps for classroom use, including those for individual world regions, may be found online in a number of places.
More information about each activity at the content link below.